We are proud winner
The work for total human liberation involves addressing poverty in all its aspects - material, emotional, physiological and spiritual. Those who are socially poor are those normally shunned or not cared for by society. These include the stranger, migrant, street child and prisoner. The CFC Prison Ministry, called Isaiah 61:1, focuses on the last group of poor people.
The whole Bible speaks about God’s preferential love for the poor:
- Jesus and his mission: “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me ..... to proclaim liberty to captives.....” (Lk 4:18). This was taken from Isaiah 61:1, “The spirit of the Lord God is upon me ..... to proclaim liberty to the captives and release to the prisoners.
- CFC and the Christian community: “Be mindful of prisoners as if sharing their imprisonment, and of the ill-treated as yourselves, for you are also in the body.” (Heb 13:3).
- Jesus and judgement: “Then the king will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was ..... in prison and you visited me.’ Then the righteous will answer him and say, ‘..... When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?’ And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’ (Mt 25:34-40)
To be present in all prisons/detention centers/correctional facilities in the countries of the world, and to build up vibrant Christian fellowships among the prisoners.
To bring true human liberation to those in prison.
Components of our Work
- Spiritual renewal.
- The full program of CFC (CLP, households, formation courses).
- Legal assistance.
- Legal defense for the poor unjustly imprisoned.
- Support of the relatives.
- Bringing them into our family ministries.
- Integrating them into our neighborhood support network.
- Post-prison support.
- Integrating them as regular members in CFC family.
- Re-integration into mainstream of society.
- Livelihood assistance.
- Advocacy on penal reform.
- Work for more humane prison conditions and treatment of prisoners
- Work on legislation on penal reform.